Friday 24 October 2008

Are you going to see the Kato film...

This piece of news really did annoy me. Stephen Chow of Kung Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer fame is set to direct The Green Hornet film. Now when I read it was being written by Seth Rogan and Evan Goldberg of all that Knocked Up Superbad pants (Which I would like to bring to your attention stars the man-child Jonah Hill as an adult in the former, and a child in the latter. Hence the name Man-Child. Weird). Anyway digressions aside, I thought that writing credit was bad enough, but now to be directed by Stephen Chow, and if rumours are true, will star Seth Rogan as the Green Hornet. This films seems to be collapsing in front of me.

I also can't help but feel this film is slowly going to shift focus and become the Kato film. I can see all the press now, comparing Stephen Chow to Bruce Lee and so on...

Now I admit, The Green Hornet has no special powers, and is more of a Batman style character, but with the cool toys. He does have a cool car though. But Kato is not the answer. No I like Bruce Lee, and the Kato character, but the thing is, if there was no Green Hornet, Kato would just be a guy without a job. He was Britt Reeds ward/servant after all. He's basically filling the Robin role. And everyone hated/hates Robin. So this all comes down to Bruce Lee.

Now I know I've lost the point but Bruce Lee has always been an internationally well known figure. Even people who never watch kicky films (Kung Fu) will claim Bruce Lee as their favourite (possibly Jackie Chan but then he's still alive.) Now again I have nothing against Bruce Lee, Enter the Dragon was excellent, but this should not shift focus on The Green Hornet.

I like The Green Hornet. It shouldn't be messed up. It shouldn't have stupid comedy moments like Kung Fu Hustle, which I've always said would've been good if it was straight forward. The crappy comedy ruins it.



Now I've lost my train of thought so I'll finish with the most important factor so as not to mess the whole thing up. The Green Hornet should be set in the 30's.

1 comment:

Chris Regan said...

It will probably end up like the Around the World in 80 Days film. Which was terrible, but made worse by the fact that it became a Jackie Chan vehicle so they shifted focus to the sidekick which resulted in a weird split narrative. I agree Green Hornet should be set in the 30s.